How We'll Help Protect You
Theft of catalytic converters is on the rise in Colorado due to a lucrative black market. This new trend has made it important to protect not just what’s inside your car, but what’s underneath your car. Catalytic converters, which help control the exhaust emissions from your engine, can cost well over $1000 to replace. With no serial or VIN number from the manufacturer, catalytic converters are an easy target for theft.
AAA Colorado is partnering with the Colorado Department of Public Safety’s Auto Theft Prevention Authority and our AAA Approved Auto Repair shops to offer free catalytic converter theft prevention. A technician will apply a non-removable etched ID# to your catalytic converter and have it registered in the theft prevention database.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Ask your service advisor at a participating AAA Approved Auto Repair shop if your vehicle is a good candidate to have your catalytic converters protected with ID labeling.1
- Catalytic converter labeling is FREE to Coloradans in conjunction with certain paid services at a participating AAA Approved Auto Repair shops.
- Once the label is installed, its unique ID is uploaded to a secure international tracking database accessible by law enforcement and recyclers.
- The AAA Approved Auto Repair shop will apply the label which will be etched into your vehicle’s catalytic converter
- The process takes only minutes and provides valuable protection for your vehicle. We hope you will join us in catalytic converter theft prevention by visiting a AAA Approved Auto Repair facility for service today!
If you are a Denver- or Colorado Springs-area 501(c)(3) or otherwise tax-exempt community or charitable organization, AAA would love to help protect your fleet vehicles from catalytic converter theft. Please contact Cassie Tanner, Deputy Director of Public Affairs, at email@example.com to learn more.
1Some vehicles are not good candidates for this service due to the location of the catalysts, which also makes them less vulnerable to theft. 2Labor charges may apply. Ask your service advisor for details.
About the Program
This program is funded by the Colorado Automobile Theft Prevention Authority and is a collaboration with VRSS and RETAINAGROUP.
Learn more about all of our groundbreaking, anti-theft initiatives at AAA.com/StopTheft