760,000 Coloradans expected to travel this Independence Day Weekend
2017 to be the most traveled Independence Day holiday weekend ever.
DENVER (June 28, 2017) – AAA Colorado projects that 760,000 Coloradans will travel 50 or more miles away from home this Independence Day weekend, making it the most traveled Independence Day holiday in Colorado history. Nationwide, more than 44.2 million travelers will take to the nation’s roads, skies, rails, and waterways this weekend – shattering the national travel record in the process.
“Everything that’s making 2017 a record year for travel nationally is amplified in Colorado,” said Skyler McKinley, AAA Colorado spokesman. “With the country’s lowest unemployment rate — the fourth-ever lowest unemployment rate ever recorded in any state’s history — consumer confidence is high. And with historically low prices on gas, airfares, car rentals, and hotels, Coloradans are realizing that their money will take them further than ever.”
The Memorial Day holiday travel period is defined as Friday, June 30 to Tuesday, July 4.
By the Numbers: Memorial Day Travel Forecast in Colorado
- All told, 760,000 Coloradans are expected to travel this Independence Day, a 3 percent increase over last year.
- 610,000 Coloradans will drive to their destinations, an increase of 3.1 percent over last year.
- Nearly 80,000 Coloradans are flying this Independence Day, an increase of 3 percent over 2016.
- More than 70,000 Coloradans, meanwhile, will look to other modes of transportation, including trains and buses. That’s up 3.0 percent from last year.
- Colorado drivers can expect to pay an average of $2.27 per gallon of gas this weekend, roughly the same price as Independence Day 2016 and down a dime from this time last month.
- AAA Colorado expects to rescue more than 11,000 motorists this Independence Day weekend, with the primary reasons being lockouts, flat tires and battery-related issues. AAA recommends motorists take their vehicle to a trusted repair facility to perform any needed maintenance before heading out. Oil changes, fluid level checks, battery tests and tire inspections go a long way toward reducing the chances of a breakdown.
About AAA Colorado
More than 640,000 members strong, AAA Colorado is the state’s greatest advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. As North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA provides more than 53 million members with travel, insurance, financial, and automotive-related services — as well as member-exclusive savings. For more information, visit Colorado.AAA.com.