AAA Activates 'Tow to Go' for St. Patrick's Day
Coloradans can call (855) 2-TOW-2-GO for a safe ride.
DENVER (Mar. 17, 2021) - AAA has activated its life-saving Tow to Go program for St. Patrick's Day as a last line of defense to keep impaired drivers off the road.
Tow to Go will be available Thursday, Mar. 17 through 6am on Monday, Mar. 21 in the Denver-metro area. When called, a tow truck will be dispatched to transport an impaired would-be driver and their vehicle to a safe place within a 10-mile radius. The service is free, as part of AAA's historic commitment to prevent impaired driving, but should only be treated as a backup plan.
"While there are safe ways to consume alcohol, the research makes clear that there's just no way to do so and then drive: At the legal limit, you're about three hundred percent more likely to crash than if you're sober," said Skyler McKinley, regional director of public affairs for AAA. "That's why we're proud to provide this life-saving program, though we urge people to identify a safe ride home before they party - and treat Tow to Go as their last resort."
Since 1998, AAA Tow to Go has kept more than 25,000 impaired drivers off the road. AAA reminds motorists to take steps ahead of time to avoid driving impaired.
Approximately one-third of all traffic crash fatalities in the United States involve drunk drivers. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people in the United States die in drunk-driving crashes every day - that's one person every 52 minutes.
Coloradans can call (855) 2-TOW-2-GO for a safe ride home.
• Tow to Go will be provided 6pm Thursday, March 17th - 6am Monday, March 21st, in the Denver-metro area.
• Free and available to both AAA members and non-members.
• AAA will provide a confidential local ride for one person and their vehicle within a 10-mile radius.
• AAA service vehicles are limiting passengers to one (1) per vehicle, in accordance with established COVID-19 safety protocols. Additional passengers need to make other arrangements.
• Appointments cannot be scheduled in advance, as this program is designed as a safety net for those who did not plan ahead. Always choose a designated driver before celebrating.
• In some situations, AAA may need to make other arrangements to get an impaired individual a safe ride home.
• Tow to Go may not be available during severe weather events.