DENVER (Nov. 24, 2021) - For the first time in Colorado history, AAA has activated its life-saving Tow to Go program as a last line of defense to keep impaired drivers off the road.
Tow to Go will be available Wednesday through Monday in the Denver-metro area. When called, a tow truck, accompanied by our partners at Lyft, will be dispatched to transport an impaired would-be driver and their vehicle to a safe place within a 10-mile radius. The service is free, as part of AAA's historic commitment to prevent impaired driving, but should only be treated as a backup plan.
"AAA is proud to bring this life-saving program to Colorado for Thanksgiving this year," said Skyler McKinley, regional director of public affairs for AAA. "Millions of Americans will get behind the wheel this weekend, and we want to make sure they can get home safely, without driving, as a last resort."
Since 1998, AAA Tow to Go has removed more than 25,000 impaired drivers from the road. AAA reminds motorists to take steps ahead of time to avoid driving impaired.
AAA predicts 925,000 Coloradans will travel for the Thanksgiving holiday. Per the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, alcohol impairment caused 10,142 fatalities, nationwide, in 2019. Of those, 417 were during the Thanksgiving holiday. It's never safe to drive impaired, so plan ahead.
Coloradans can call (855) 2-TOW-2-GO for a safe ride home.
• Tow to Go will be provided from 6:00pm on Wednesday, Nov. 24 through 6:00am Monday, Nov. 29 in the Denver-metro area.
• Free and available to both AAA members and non-members.
• AAA will provide a confidential local ride for one person, via Lyft, and their vehicle within a 10-mile radius. AAA is unable to accomodate riders in emergency rescue vehicles at this time.
• This service is limited to one passenger (1) per Lyft. Face masks or coverings are required in accordance with established COVID-19 safety protocols. Additional passengers need to make other arrangements.
• Appointments cannot be scheduled in advance, as this program is designed as a safety net for those who did not plan ahead. Always choose a designated driver before celebrating.
• In some situations, AAA may need to make other arrangements to get an impaired individual a safe ride home.
• Tow to Go may not be available during severe weather events.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
AAA Colorado is a proud part of The Auto Club Group (ACG), the second-largest AAA club in North America with more than 14 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 60 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA's mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.