ASK THE EXPERT: Ensuring a worry-free adventure

Betsy Farin

Croatia is chock-full of fascinating landscapes, ancient towns, and spectacular views of the Adriatic Sea. It’s also ranked as one of the safest countries to visit, but it’s smart to plan for the unexpected when visiting any destination. 

When traveling overseas, be sure to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP)—even if you’re not planning to drive. Should you need to communicate with foreign authorities, this recognizable form of identification can help you get on your way more quickly, as it contains your name, photo, and driver information that’s translated into 10 languages. IDPs are available at your local AAA Colorado retail store for $20.

If you will be driving, most car rental companies offer basic emergency roadside service in case you break down, but you’ll also want to carry travel insurance for other emergencies, including illness, injuries, or expenses due to common carrier delays or interruptions. Fortunately, AAA Colorado offers members some of the best travel insurance on the market, and has a variety of quality plans for every situation and every budget.

I’m not a worrier, but when I’m away on a trip, I feel more secure knowing that I have back-up—even when I’m more than 5,500 miles from home.

Betsy Farin is a Travel Agent in the AAA North Metro retail store. She is a Certified Travel Counselor and holds several Destination Specialist designations. She has been with AAA Travel for more than 40 years and loves to travel and help members plan their dream vacations. Contact Betsy at 5140 W. 120th Ave., Westminster; 720-593-5293; or