River Cruising Vacations
In the U.S.
River cruising is increasingly one of the most popular vacation options for travelers who love exploring historic and unique towns and cities. Some of the most spectacular river cruise experiences are along America’s legendary rivers. Enjoy immersive cultural exploration, beautiful sites and landscapes, and all the comforts that come with a riverboat journey. These are AAA Colorado’s top-recommended U.S. river cruise vacations. Our team of travel experts can help curate the best river cruise experience for you.
Mississippi Holiday Season
Discover the history and charm of the Lower Mississippi on this special 7-night river cruise voyage. Onboard festivities include special celebratory regional dining, seasonal treats and more to celebrate the holidays.
- Discover Memphis, complete with exclusive privileged access to Graceland, decorated for Christmas
- Experience the serpentine route of the Lower Mississippi with a variety of birdlife
- Marvel at Christmas light displays and decorated historic homes in Natchez and Baton Rouge
- Savor Cajun cuisine and shop for festive treasures in New Orleans
Music Cities Cruise
2021, 2022 & 2023 dates available
This 7-night journey begins and ends in the musical meccas of the U.S. Along the way, discover cities, small towns, and legendary rivers that define the heartland. Visit Memphis, Nashville, Clarksville and Dover Tennessee, and Paducah, Kentucky.
- Explore Memphis, birthplace of the blues and home to the King of Rock-n-Roll, Elvis Presley
- Enjoy a day of cruising along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers whose banks inspired a variety of musical genres, ranging from bluegrass to jazz
- Stroll along the riverfront of Paducah adorned with life-size mural depicting elements of the city’s cultural past
- Cruise Lake Barkley and the Cumberland River
- Let expert historians bring Civil War history to life at Fort Donelson National Park in Dover, and Fort Defiance in Clarksville
- Take a guided exploration of Nashville, the official headquarters of Country music, and watch a show at the iconic Grand Ole Opry
America’s Great River
2023 dates available
History and culture unfold as you cross the country from north to south on this enriching 15-night river cruise voyage. Enjoy relaxing scenic sailing along the Mississippi River from St. Paul to New Orleans, and unparalleled birdwatching as the landscape changes from the bluffs of the North to the bayous of the South.
- Learn about the American civil rights movement and the Civil War at rich historic sites in Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Enjoy the rhythm of American folk, rock, soul and jazz music in Memphis, Tennessee and New Orleans, Louisiana
- Taste a delicious array of regional cuisine
- Tour Dubuque, Iowa, the city known as the “Masterpiece on the Mississippi” and learn about the Steamboat Era
- Stop in Hannibal, Missouri, the childhood home of author Mark Twain and the setting of his Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Columbia and Snake Rivers Cruise
2021 dates available
Embrace your inner pioneer as you travel along the epic route forged by Lewis and Clark more than 200 years ago. On this 7-night river cruise you will travel through Oregon and Washington stopping in areas forever entwined with the fortunes of the Columbia and Snake Rivers.
- View the lush landscapes of the Columbia River Gorge and the magnificent Multnomah Falls
- Visit Mount St. Helens with a local expert and learn how the eruption affected surrounding communities
- Enjoy a trip to wine country and stop at a local winery for a tasting
- Be entertained by onboard musicians performing maritime songs, sea shanties, and selections from “The Great American Songbook”
- Experience the majestic scenery and stunning backdrop of Mount Hood
Rivers of Adventure & Wine
2021 & 2022 dates available
Set sail for the recreation mecca of the rivers on this 7-night Columbia River cruise from Portland. Wine lovers and explorers revel in adventure and tastings. Syrah never tasted so good as sipped from the bow and overlooking the hills of the riverbank, after a hearty day of play in this Cascade playground.
- Hike, kayak, raft, swim and skiff your way through the Columbia Gorge
- Tour and taste at a Walla Walla winery
- Deschutes River rafting trip
- Onboard sommelier, and natural and cultural history guides
- Transit six locks and tour the Bonneville Dam Visitor Center
- Hikes at Tom McCall Nature Preserve, Multnomah Falls, Columbia Hills State Park, and Ft. Clatsop – a Lewis and Clark National Historical Park
2020, 2021, 2022 & 2023 dates available
Celebrate the music, history and culture of the Lower Mississippi on a riverboat. Your journey begins and ends in New Orleans, a melting pot of French, African and American culture. Here you can enjoy exclusive access to its vibrant music scene and the best in Cajun and Creole cuisine.
- On curated tours of area plantations such as the Oak Alley, Frogmore, and Rosedown, hear stories about southern life from a team of passionate experts
- Explore historic towns and beautiful gardens along the way
- Be treated to an exclusive American Cruise Lines classical piano concert at the famous J.N. Stone House
- In Vicksburg, our expert guides show you the battlefields, the USS Cairo, and the most significant historic sites throughout the city