|News: Colorado's Best Hotels and Restaurants for 2020
The best places to eat and stay in 2020, according to America's only on-site, expert-led, unannounced evaluation program.
DENVER (Feb. 19, 2020) – Coloradans seeking out the very best hotel and fine dining experiences needn't go far: Today, AAA Colorado has announced that 47 hotels and 19 restaurants have been awarded AAA's Four or Five Diamond Designation - two of the most coveted, well-known, and respected distinctions in hospitality.
"There are a lot of reasons to love living in Colorado," said AAA Colorado spokesman Skyler McKinley. "That 66 Colorado properties placed at the top of AAA's transformed Diamond Program helps cement our top-tier status as a travel destination of global significance. These hotels and restaurants consistently exceed expectations by providing their guests highly personalized, memorable experiences. There's no question that they represent the upper echelon of their industry."
Four hotels maintained their position in the Five Diamond program, which includes just 0.4% of the nearly 27,000 properties AAA reviews every year.
The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs has kept its Five Diamond designation for the 44th consecutive year. First awarded when AAA unveiled its Diamond system in 1976, The Broadmoor is the only hotel in the world to have maintained its rating through the present day. In Aspen, The Little Nell has received a Five Diamond rating for 29 consecutive years. In Denver, The Ritz-Carlton, Denver this year celebrates ten years of its Five Diamond designation, while the Four Seasons Hotel, Denver, has held the distinction for six straight years.
This year, five Colorado properties for the first time joined the ranks of AAA's Four Diamond appointments - which include just 6.5% of the nearly 27,000 AAA Diamond lodgings and are noted for their upscale style and amenities enhanced with the right touch of service.
- Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center, Aurora. Inspector notes: This massive property has an impressive atrium with a nine-story window offering views of the mountains and downtown. Guest rooms feature a rustic decor with custom artwork. While the property has all that a guest may desire such as multiple restaurants, pools and a spa, the location is quite remote.
- The Lodge at Flying Horse, Colorado Springs. Inspector notes: This expansive resort features a pristine golf course surrounded by mountains. A variety of amenities, such as the state-of the art fitness center and spa, appeal to both business and leisure guests. Upscale guest rooms offer either a balcony or patio.
- Kimpton Hotel Born, Denver. Inspector notes: This hotel is centrally located and steps away from Union Station. Guest rooms have an urban rustic aesthetic and feature floor-to-ceiling windows, concrete ceilings and custom headboards.
- The Maven Hotel at Dairy Block, Denver. Inspector notes: This unique hotel anchors the stylish Dairy Block and boasts over 400 pieces of local art. Guest rooms vary in style, but all feature industrial elements, large windows and exposed concrete ceilings.
- Fairmont Heritage Place, Franz Klammer Lodge, Telluride. Inspector notes: Admire the ski-slope view from the floor-to-ceiling lobby windows with your favorite apres-ski beverage. Feel at home with your friends or family in the spacious two- and three-bedroom condos. Leave your car and take the 15 minute sky ride gondola to downtown while enjoying remarkable views. Transportation is provided to and from the Montrose and Telluride airports.
Five Diamond restaurants, just 0.2% of more than 30,000 AAA Diamond restaurant listings, feature leading-edge cuisine, ingredients, and preparation with extraordinary service and surroundings.
Colorado is home to just one Five Diamond restaurant: The Penrose Room at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, which has maintained its rating since 2007.
Statewide, 18 restaurants earned AAA's Four Diamond designation - which denotes distinctive fine dining, well-served amid upscale ambiance. New to the list this year:
- Beano's Cabin, Avon. Inspector notes: This mountainside restaurant is located in a former hunting lodge and comes complete with antler chandeliers and a cozy fireplace. The seasonal fixed price menu offers multiple courses and features fare such as venison, Wagyu beef and Colorado lamb. The restaurant is accessed by a scenic shuttle or sleigh ride.
How the Designations Work
To earn the coveted AAA Five Diamond designation, hotels and restaurants must pass a rigorous evaluation that includes unannounced, in-person inspections, anonymous overnight stays for hotels, and, finally, review by a panel of experts as an additional step to ensure credibility. All AAA Diamond Program hotels and restaurants are re-evaluated annually to ensure they provide the best experience for travelers and diners.
AAA Four Diamond hotels and restaurants, which represent just 4.2% of the total, are also an exclusive group. They must be refined and stylish with upscale physical attributes, extensive amenities and a high degree of hospitality, service and attention to detail. This year, there are 1,718 Four Diamond hotels and 682 Four Diamond restaurants, including 125 new hotels and 62 new restaurants.
To see the complete lists of 2020 AAA Four and Five Diamond hotels and restaurants, visit AAA.com/DiamondAwards. To see which cities and states have the most award winners, see AAA Four Diamond and Five Diamond facts.
In January, AAA unveiled a contemporized version of its highly acclaimed AAA Diamond Program, modernized to meet the needs of today’s travelers. A new Diamond designation reflecting AAA’s professional inspector reviews using updated guidelines sets the program apart from services that rely on unverified hotel and restaurant ratings. For more information, visit AAA.com/Diamonds.
|About the AAA Diamond Program
For more than 80 years, AAA’s professional inspectors have conducted in-person property evaluations. AAA is the only entity using comprehensive, on-site professional hotel and restaurant evaluations guided by member priorities. AAA’s inventory includes some 60,000 Diamond hotels and restaurants across the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Travelers can find AAA Diamond hotels and restaurants and inspector insight in AAA’s trip planning products: AAA Mobile app, AAA Travel Guides, TripTik Travel Planner and the AAA TourBook guides available to members at AAA offices. For more information, visit AAA.com/Diamonds.
|About AAA Colorado
More than 700,000 members strong, AAA Colorado is the state’s greatest advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. As North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA provides more than 60 million members with travel, insurance, financial, and automotive-related services — as well as member-exclusive savings. A not-for-profit organization since its founding in 1923, AAA Colorado has been recognized as the number one Colorado company its size for its advocacy, community engagement, and corporate social responsibility efforts – and is a proud member of Points of Light’s “The Civic 50 Colorado,” recognizing the 50 most community-minded companies in the state. For more information, visit AAA.com.